Recovering From a Root Canal at Colorado Springs Co Family Dentist
posted: Jul. 08, 2020.
You may need a Colorado Springs root canal if you have a deep cavity, your tooth is injured, or you have an infection. You must take care of your mouth after a root canal to minimize your discomfort. Dr. Sheldon Golomb is a dentist at Dental Arts Center in Colorado Springs, CO. He can perform your root canal and advise you on how to manage your mouth after the procedure.
What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is a procedure that removes the pulp (soft tissues) from inside a tooth when it has become infected. This can happen if there is a deep cavity in the tooth or the tooth is cracked or injured. When the pulp is removed, the tooth will be filled and sealed. Your Colorado Springs Root Canal specialist will place a crown over the tooth to strengthen it.
Post-Root Canal Tips
Colorado Springs Root Canal patients who have a root canal can alleviate discomfort by following these tips:
- Reduce swelling: Applying an ice pack to your face and sleeping with your head elevated can reduce swelling.
- Plan meals: For the first few days after a root canal it’s best to avoid foods that require a lot of chewing. Soups and soft foods are ideal.
- Don’t smoke: If you usually vape or smoke tobacco, take a break for 3-4 days. This will give your mouth a chance to heal without interference from foreign chemicals.
- Avoid exercise: Take a few days off from the gym so that you don’t cause your tooth to start bleeding.
- Get plenty of rest: While you are recovering make sure you sleep well to help your tooth heal faster.
You should contact your dentist if:
- The swelling in your mouth lasts longer than 24 hours
- You develop a skin rash
- Your pain medication is not working
When your root canal has healed, your Colorado Springs Root Canal specialist will cover your tooth with a crown to strengthen it and prevent any further damage.
If you need a root canal in Colorado Springs CO, you can call Dr. Sheldon Golomb of Dental Arts Center at (719) 528-6441 to schedule a consultation.